.

DISCLAIMER

The views expressed in this blog are based entirely on personal tastes and preferences. Please do not take them as professional interpretations.

If you have any comments/suggestions/places you think serve great food, do share with us! Email me at qiuyi_ong@hotmail.com or leave a comment in the tag board. Thanks and cheers to future gastronomical adventures!

MY TO-GO LIST

7ateNine (Eaten!)
Au Jardin (Eaten!)
Au Petit Salut
Buko Nero (Eaten!)
Cugini (Eaten!)
Forlino (Eaten!)
Gunther's
Jaan (Eaten!)
La Strada
Le Bistrot
Nicolas
Pasta Brava (Eaten!)
Sage (Eaten!)
Tatsuya
Tetsu (Eaten!)

I LIKE

Canele
Cugini
Kuriya
Le Figue
LivinGreens
Nanbantei
Ootoya
Original Sin
Pasta Brava
Sage
Tetsu
Valentino

PAST ENTRIES

April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009

Labels























Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Sweet Indulgence
2 Stanley Street

This was truly a hidden find a short distance away from my workplace. Small and cozy, this restaurant is a good place for a meal with friends after a long day at work.

As usual. I didn't like the complementary bread as it was too soft and fluffy. Yes, I don't like such bread though it may be hard to believe.

My Baked Salmon Fillet ($24.50+) was excellent! I specially requested for a slightly undercooked salmon as I want the middle to be soft. The results couldn't have been better. Moist and soft, the fish melted in the mouth! An unlikely star was the mashed potato which was really good, smooth and not too creamy. I think there were even bits of garlic embedded in it, thus raising the fragrance a notch higher. The bowl of orange based salsa on the side was very appetising and refreshing with its tangy dressing. On the whole, everything came together well.

The Pan-fried Sea Bass ($24.50+) was also great! The thick slab of fish was very fresh and succulent. Served with the excellent mashed potato and daily vegetables, this is very much a complete meal by itself.

With such a sweet name, I have rather high hopes for the desserts. Just the name "Warm Chocolate Lava Indulgence" ($10.50+) sounds sinful to boot. Beautifully presented with fresh fruits and vanilla ice cream, the warm chocolate cake was very good with its molten dark chocolate centre. Though it would have been better if there wasn't so much icing sugar sprinkled on top. I loved the vanilla ice cream even more as it was so smooth and there were real specks of real vanilla beans. This ice cream is definitely one of the better ones I've eaten.

There was a slight "mishap" as the chocolate cake served was not warm despite its name. In fact, it was downright cold. I sent it back to the kitchen and while waiting for a new one to be replaced, the owner kindly served us a complementary panna cotta. I'm not a fan of panna cotta as it's essentially cooked cream. I guess this was decent enough since the milk taste was not too strong. Less than halfway through the panna cotta, we discovered a living insect moving around on the plate. I alerted the waiter and he replaced another one for us. I felt quite embarrassing for the owner initially but in the end, we just laughed it off.

After all the trouble they've gone to for us, we wanted to show our appreciation. And what better way to satisfy both parties by ordering one more dessert? The portion of the Tiramisu ($10.50+) was extremely generous! There were thick layers of mascarpone cheese and lady fingers soaked in coffee. This was quite good but I was looking for the taste of liquor which was sorely missing. The owner actually used a mixture of liquor such as kahlua, rum and brandy but it was too mild for my liking.

Business seemed to be very slow on a weekday. We were the only occupied table throughout our long and leisure dinner. Luckily, a couple came in just as we were finishing and we heaved a sign of relief for the owner. The owner and staff were very friendly and came to ask for our feedback after clearing the plates from the table. Though prices may be a tad pricey for a simple dinner, there is a promotion now that offers a free dessert with every 2 main courses ordered. Do drop by this place if you have the chance!

Labels:

7:37 PM

----------

WELCOME!

In ancient Greek mythology, sirens are creatures which have the body of a bird and the head of a woman. They have such sweet voices that sailors who heard their songs were lured into grounding their boats on the rocks on which the nymphs sang.

To me, food are like the sirens in so many ways. Intoxicating, wonderful, beautiful and yet, so very deadly if you let them get the better of you. Food is a big part of my life and it’s meant to be appreciated and savored slowly. I admit that I am extremely particular about what I eat. If it’s not something I want to put in my body, I’d rather not eat. Some people eat to live while others live to eat. I’ve yet to discover which side of the camp I’m in… What about you?

I hope that you will enjoy reading about my food adventures as much as I like writing them. And many thanks to my family and friends who always wait patiently for me to take photos before digging in!

LOCAL FOODIES' BLOGS

Ate Too Much
Gastronomic Ruminations
She Bakes & She Cooks
Singapore Daily Makan Photo
Small Potatpes Make the Steak Look Bigger
The Orthorexic Foodie
The Skinny Epicurean
Timeless Facade
Food Glorious Food

FOOD FOR THOUGHT